THE MATERIAL: NEOPRENE // IYAAJAY

November 01, 2014


I have only just discovered the reason why people have gone mad for neoprene. Gucci to Christopher Kane, Givenchy to Proenza Schouler et all have all plumped for this futuristic fabric this season so I decided to see what the big hype is.

Neoprene rubber is usually used to make diving equipment and only really used in fashion a couple of years ago when the future was the focus. Now, only a handful of high street shops brave to tackle this material (ASOS, Topman, Topshop, and COS are the best for this material) and its becoming hard to track down as as soon as a new piece hits the shelves, it clears automatically.

I plumped for two Topman pieces in the form of a extreme longline tee and a bomber. I originally wanted to get the longline tee but when I set eyes on the jacket, I knew that had to come home with me too.

I love the very traditional style of this bomber, especially with the functioning pocket on the sleeve. The weight of the material is a mid weight meaning its perfect for layering without being too bulky or heavy. I did find this quite warm as it doesn't have any vent holes or sections which means it could potentially be pretty warm but its perfect for the winter. Top tip: Make sure to keep the rest of the outfit simple to keep the clean lines minimal and fuss free for a more relaxed outfit. (Make sure to check out my instagram @iyaajay to see how I style this piece)

This was the original piece that drew my attention to neoprene and knew I had to track it down. I originally saw it at the new Brighton flagship but they didn't have sizes over a medium which I thought was going to be too small for me. After contacting Topman, I found out that it wasn't going to be restocked and I tried desperately to get my size in this tee but to no avail. Luckily when I went back to the Brighton store, I decided to try a medium which incredibly, fitted perfectly. Due to being an extreme length, oversized tee, the medium fitted my shoulders perfectly and the extra length made it come to about 2-3 inches above my knees (Im 5ft10) and raises on the side for a sports inspired style. I kept this simple the first time I wore it teaming it with trusty black jeans, rolled up and paired with a pair of patterned Vans slip ons for a Givenchy inspired take on minimal dressing.

I can't wait to style these pieces during the winter as they offer more warmth then the traditional cotton tee, but keep things interesting with the thicker, matte finished material which is sure to gain attention.

Until next time guys.
Jay

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook