November 05, 2013

Jumping on the crazy/pastel hair craze is now easier then ever with the release of Bumble and Bumble's BB Spraychalk, which as it literally says is coloured spray in chalk. Now as soon as I saw this I thought it was too good to be true so I decided to pop to Boots and pick up two of the colours I liked. Available in Mint, Cobalt, Blush and Lavender, I picked up Cobalt and Mint and decided to try them on the natural dip dye section of my longer hair (where Ive let dye grow out, its created a pretty nice dip dye).

I tried it before I washed my hair, as it also claims to be 'easy to wash out' in one shampoo, so I decided to put that to the test too and sprayed equal amounts of each. I tried the cobalt using two techniques, first by holding it closer to get a more intense colour. However, I ended up with a blotchy navy patch of hair, so then I decided to hold it further away, but this ended up with a reasonable pay off and a blue dotty face where it didn't go on my hair. So moving away from the cobalt, I tried the same technique with the mint. On the intense colour, I got a vivid colour that would look amazing on the end of hair or mixed with the blue for an intense dip dye, but when I tried it far away, it ended up looking grey, almost like dry shampoo which wasn't the most attractive. Much like dry shampoo, it leaves the hair with a very dry, rough texture so Id probably style hair first then fix it with this. However, don't be tempted to run your fingers through your hair during the day as you'll end up with coloured hands. So as I washed it out, and saw the water run clear, I was impressed it came out so easily. To do a fair review, I tried it out on that day washed hair with no products in, and I was much more impressed with the pay off and the technique I used.
For this attempt, I tied my hair out the way, to a mini ponytail and sprayed either side with the different colours, let it dry, and removed the hairband, which left me with a marble effect which I actually quite liked and would probably do again. I also found that the spray can can be a little fiddly to work with, as the spray is quite forceful and harsh so you have to commit to it. Also I found the product will travel everywhere but is easily wiped off with water which is super handy, especially in a all white bathroom (playing with fire with my decision in that one!)

Overall, Im impressed with the product, and the pay off which would be brilliant for a night out or an occasion but I just can't get over the texture, as it leaves the hair feeling rather gritty and rough, which isn't the most pleasent of textures but its fine as long as you don't keep fiddling with your hair, like I do. Also I'm quite put off by the price and size of the product as you only get 40g in a super tiny can for £15 but then again, its something you wouldn't use everyday so it's not a bad price to get different wears out of on occasions.

Bumble and Bumble Spraychalk in Cobalt and Mint is available at Boots, and other licensed Bumble and Bumble stockists for a limited time only

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook