HOW TO DISCOVER YOUR PERSONAL STYLE // IYAAJAY

May 29, 2015


Whilst contemplating on a drive to work the other day, I was going through what I wanted to potentially blog about, and this was one question I kept coming back to, how do you discover your personal style?

It sounds simple enough, but when you think about all the options, fits, sizes, colours, era's, stores etc its a little bit of a nightmare so I decided to sit down and work out the key points to discovering your style.


MOOD BOARDS/INSPIRATIONS
Now this may sound odd, but when you think about it, how do magazines show trends? mood boards. Mood boards are a great way to showcase everything you love in one place, whether that ranges from buildings to materials, to images of your favourites pieces or style icons, they're a great way of discovering what you really like. Platforms like Tumblr and Pinterest are at the forefront of creating interactive versions of this, but you can also easily create inspiration folders on your phone so you have that constant source of inspiration.

DON'T BE AFRAID TO SHOP AROUND
Theres no rules about buying a head to toe look from one brand, or owning EVERYTHING from one brand, so why not mix it up a little? In my wardrobe, I've accumulated a varied selection of high and lower end brands which I pair together to create my perfect looks which I know will also work with the rest of my wardrobe. I will stress about investment pieces such as the perfect parka (such as my Jack Wills one from the AW13 collection which I still adore) to the biker (such as my All Saints SS14 one which I have honestly got the best PPW out of) to the go anywhere and look great jeans (River Island do some of the best jeans on the high street) I will never EVER go out head to toe in one brand. If you ever love a high end piece but can't justify it, don't fret, the high street will always have your back.

SOCIAL MEDIA IS YOUR BEST FRIEND
 Instagram is a discoverers best friend. Theres no hiding the matter that you can follow brands, your favourite celebrities, stylish individuals etc on this site, which is also perfect for hunting down styles you will cherish and love, but also want to recreate. Brands such as H&M, Matches Man and BOOHOO Man have the best options when it comes to showing ways they style pieces and also the pieces of the season which is also brilliant because they have also got the most user friendly websites when it comes to the mobile platforms, perfect for the stylish gent on the go. Instagram is also perfect for discovering new people to be inspired by.

IF YOU LIKE IT, GO WITH IT
I often buy pieces that are a little on the fence, and people always name them 'the fashion equivalent of marmite' but I say if you like it, go with it. I love taking a risk when it comes to fashion and styling and Ive also seen guys are that are scared of taking a risk and playing incredibly safe when it comes to what they wear and what they like etc. ITS 2015, LIVE A LITTLE. With brands taking more of a risk and offering more 'gender neutral' options (Selfridges are the biggest name to offer agender departments in their stores) the lines between distinct clothing is narrowing. 

& FINALLY

DON'T DRESS FOR ANYONE BUT YOURSELF
This may sound a little controversial but think about it, if you find yourself wearing something your not 100% about just to please someone, you don't have to. Ive known people wearing things that you can tell truly is being worn for 'the partner factor/friendzone' and it just looks down right silly. So what if your friends are wearing it, it doesn't mean you have to like it too, so what if your girlfriend/boyfriend/wife/husband thinks you overwear an item, so what! If it makes you happy, who really should care?!

Any tips you think also should be shared? Let me know in the comments below!

Until next time guys,

Jay

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook